Oak Class (Year 6)
Welcome to Oak Class:
2022 - 2023
Mr Thackway Mrs Pickering
Here you will find the Long-Term Plan for Year 6 for 2022-23. This gives a broad overview of the themes and topics covered in year and relate back to the National Curriculum.
For more details about each subject being taught - click on the Curriculum page within the Parents Section.
Year 6 - Relationships & Health Education Lesson - Parent Information
Autumn 2 Class Novel
In Maths we will be focussing on fractions, decimals and percentages.
In Science, we will be thinking about healthy lifestyles. We will look at the science behind a health lifestyle and link our Design Technology cooking skills to create a range of healthy and cheap meal options to try at home.
Welcome back! I can't wait to get started with this group. It is going to be a great year.
- France Visit - 12th September - 17th September (Arrive at school for 5:30am on Monday 12th)
- High School Choices Submission Deadline - 31st October - https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/schools/apply-for-a-school-place/apply-online-for-a-school-place/
- KS2 SATs - 8th May - 11th May 2023
- PE Days will be on Monday and Thursday. You can come to school in your Grange PE kit like we did last year. PE kit must follow school uniform policy. Plain black trainers/pumps, Plain black shorts or tracksuit bottoms (no white or coloured logos) and plain red t-shirt.
- Please complete your home reading responses in your new reading diary.
- Your children should be reading a minimum of 3x per week. (Home reading is the best support you can provide your children with)
- Weekly spellings will be given on a Friday and tested the following Friday
Our topic this half term is World War 1.
In English we will be writing a 'finding tale'. The children will learn the text by heart so encourage them to show you at home. The finding tale will be based around events from WW1. Following this we will create our own discussion texts based on the question 'Should people be forced to fight in a war?'
In Maths we will be focussing on place value and securing our understanding of reading and writing, comparing and ordering and rounding numbers to 10,000,000.
In History we will be researching a wide variety of events from World War 1. We will look at the impact of the war both on the front line and at home. Our visit to France will help immerse the children in the topic and show them first hand some of the impact the war still has today.